We don’t always get it right, but we are committed to making a difference, and are constantly working towards a more sustainable and ethical way of life for everyone.
Here is where we are so far.
Bluebella - Trading Ethically and Responsibly
- Vertical production – Bluebella product is sourced and produced in one country – which reduces the need to transport fabric or componentry – reducing carbon emissions
- All our cotton is organic cotton
- We have designed new ranges into our Autumn/Winter 2021 collection that contain eco and sustainable fabrics. Our priority in the coming seasons will be to increase the percentage of sustainable ranges
- Garment care labels will be produced using recycled and recyclable fabric from Spring/Summer 2021
- We reduce wastage by limiting our sampling requirements
- Actively look for ways to cross utilise base fabrics across ranges
- Sourcing fabrics from externally audited suppliers
- Our end of season samples are donated to charities
- Two new shades of skin tone hosiery coming in early Summer 2021 – Caramel and Berry
- Our factories are audited each year by 3rd party external audits
- They adhere to the Modern Slavery Act
- They contractually sign up to the Bluebella Ethical Trading Policy
- Our audits and code of conduct ensure workers are paid a fair living wage
- We are a member of Sedex – empowering responsible supply chains
- We work with suppliers who share our values and environmental ethos
- Mailer Bags - recyclable - Always looking for ways to improve – even when a product is recyclable - We will introduce in early 2021, a paper-based mailer bag which is easily and fully recyclable
- Mailer Boxes – recyclable
- Gift Wrap Packaging - recyclable
- In Parcel Marketing Leaflets - recyclable
- Garment Poly Bags – Autumn 2020 – introduction of a recyclable poly bag. This is a temporary step in the right direction, our aim is to remove all poly packaging and only use sustainable tissue to protect product.
EcoCart: picking up the tab on carbon costs
- Our new initiative with EcoCart means that the carbon cost of shipping every order is now calculated at checkout.
- EcoCart lets us know the carbon impact of shipping each order, and how much it would cost to offset.
- We then donate that amount to carbon offsetting initiatives that are planting trees all around the world.
- The best part? There’s no extra cost to you, the customer.
- So, you shop, we offset, more trees are planted and the world benefits.
- Look to source from the UK across the business – our new paper-based mailer bags – introduced from early 2021 are manufactured in the UK
- Concise management of our logistics operation to reduce the number of deliveries to our warehouse
- Encourage our customers – through our wash care labels – to wash at cooler temperatures
- Ensure that when our team have to fly on business, they use their time away productively and effectively and only fly when a physical presence is absolutely necessary
- Cut down printing – sometimes you need a paper copy – but everyone is reminded to ‘stop and think – before you print!
- Look Books and Line Sheets – We limit our commercial printing and actively encourage the use of online materials
- Monthly team meetings to assess progress and how we can improve sustainability in the workplace
- Encourage reusable water bottles – filtered tap water readily available
- Recycling bins given prominent office space – think before you bin it
- We use eco-friendly products within the office
- Merit plants – sustainable wins by our team are rewarded with real life plants for their desks
- We even moved our office to make it easier for our team to walk or cycle to work!
The Future is Female
- Female CEO and Founder
- Female Brand Director
- Board members – 66% Female
- All female senior management team
- We donate to UK and global charities such as Beam, Rainn and WGEP
- We provide product donations to higher education establishments for charity fashion shows
- We encourage the Bluebella Head Office team to take part in volunteer days – and give holiday days in lieu in return